26 August 2007

'N' Level Prelims 2007

My boss dropped me a message telling me that my class did badly for the examination, and asked why that is so. Seriously, I wished I knew, but I don't. I would be the first to desire them to do well.

Recently, he has been emphasizing that curricular teaching is our core business and that teachers’ performance will always be tagged to the academic achievements of his/her students. Honestly, it irritated me somewhat within.

I do want my charges to do well. I really do. But then, I find myself sometimes cursing the fact that I am inheriting classes which already have their so-called "value-deducted" (academically). To a certain extend, it feels rather unfair. But it does help to train me personally as a educator.

I know complaining helps with nothing, but sometimes I really can’t help it. Already I’m thinking more and more often of leaving the service where once I really held high ideals about education. Must reflect and ponder deeply.