31 January 2008

Respecting Humanity

I often wondered why I blog. Many did so just as a form of an electronic diary. There is nothing wrong with that except that a blog is accessible to everyone. It is more than that. Might be an irresistible urge to share our thoughts with the world. But since thoughts have to be shared responsibly, then too must blogging be done responsibly.

A responsible blog can be boring for the masses though. Most people take blogs only as entertainment.

I tend to believe that beyond just sharing my random thoughts, I really wished to share my mentor’s greatness with the world.

On his 80th birthday on 2 January, the President S R Nathan of Singapore wrote a congratulatory letter to him. This news feels me with pride. The highest leader of my country had endorsed my mentor in life. This encourages me greatly that my chosen path is noble indeed. I will forge on.

As we continue to advance towards a more peaceful world, my mentor offered the following guidelines for the sake of humanity to start the new year:

  1. Respecting the human rights of others and tenaciously seeking peaceful solutions to problems
  2. Upholding the sanctity and dignity of all life and never ignoring the suffering of others or larger social problems
  3. Respecting each other’s difference and being willing to learn from each other’s cultures
  4. Promoting communication and exchange and pooling our wisdom for the benefit of allhumankind and the planet on which we live
  5. Always having faith in others’ humanity, based on our common identity as human and living beings, and striving especially to foster the positive development of youth
Onwards!