11 January 2012

Thoughts on Angkor


Year 2012 is upon us. Actually, it had already been a good ten-day since the start of the New Year. And it is also a traditional busy time with the evaluation of the previous year, preparing work plans and settling into a new rhythm.

Finally I had a small window of time to write about my vacation in the zenith of year 2011. I visited Cambodia with the fiancée in December 2011. Specially, Siem Reap. The main objective was to visit Angkor and Angkor Wat in particular. As an enthusiast in religious history, I was hyped to explore this largest singular religious monument.

In brief, Angkor Wat was originally built as a Hindi Temple. Centuries after Hinduism lost its influence in Cambodia, it is still maintained by Buddhists. A religious building is one of the greatest acts of cultural expression. And I believed that despite the differences between Buddhism and Hinduism, I believe that it is this respect for each other’s religious culture that allows Angkor Wat to survive today.

In contrast, the destruction of Sho-Hondo by Nikken due to his jealousy of the growth of Soka Gakkai seems utterly petty and immature.

But if you think that it is because Buddhism and Hinduism have common roots in ancient Indian philosophy that they can coexist, I beg to differ. Theologically, Buddhism was founded to confront the errors in the teachings of Brahmanism which is the predecessor of Hinduism. Hinduism is the evolution of Brahmanism to adapt to modern society.

But evidence of the conflict between the two faiths can be found a short distance northwest of Angkor Wat – Angkor Thom. Angkor Thom was the political centre of medieval Cambodia (Khmer). Khmer was mainly a Hindu civilization with a window in its history where Buddhism thrived. In the centre of Angkor Thom was the temple known as Bayon. There was a time when Bayon was an important Buddhist temple for the royal family. But when Buddhism lost its influence among the Khmers, Hindu fanatics attacked the Bayon and much of the grand structure was vandalized.

It is interesting to note that Angkor Wat predates Angkor Thom. Why was Angkor Thom badly vandalized but not Angkor Wat?

It is my belief that this is due to the fact that Angkor Wat was a religious centre while Angkor Thom was a political centre. In medieval society, it is not possible to divorce religions from politics. But there are fundamental differences. Both religions and politics are tools. Wield by the right people, they can be a force for either great good or evil. But political tools are focused on the creation of structures and environments for the people. It has great value. But it pales in comparison to religious tools which focused on values and culture.



In a revolution, structures and environments are reset and rebuilt from the ground up. But values and cultures are eternal.

Politics has become a common point of discussion in my country since the previous election. While I respect the good that good policies can have on people’s lives, it is more meaningful for me to impart positive values and humanistic cultures to the people around me. Schooled in Nichiren Buddhism of the Soka Gakkai tradition, I am convinced that I am equipped with the tools to influence others towards a more humanistic society. It is how I wield it that I must ponder deeply and with care that I will never be corrupted.



On a side note, the GCE O Level results were released 2 days ago. Technically, my students did not perform all that bad. But as any decent teacher would feel, I had hoped they would do even better. Best wishes to them for the next phase of their education!