07 April 2007

Genie Series # 1

Once upon a time, there was a genie named Juken. Juken was fresh out of the Magick Academy and was really eager to start using his magical ability to help people. So he was walking down the street one day and found a pathetic, ugly looking beggar by the roadside and decided to help this poor fellow.

So he approached this beggar and asked how he could help him.

The beggar looked up and grinned. It was a really ugly grin as his teeth were all crooked and decaying. And then, without much hesitation, the beggar asked for money, lots and lots of money. And so, Juken snapped his fingers, and a nice little box appeared in his hands.

“This is an unlimited personal automated teller machine, also known as the UP-ATM. You can withdraw unlimited amount of money with it.”

And so with that, Juken left the beggar.

Two weeks later, he visited the beggar again. This time, the beggar had beautiful clothes and living in a magnificent castle. After a few words of thanks from the beggar, Juken asked if the beggar was happy.

The beggar thought for a while and answered, “I may be rich. But I am ugly and sickly. The women only tolerate me because of my money. Make me handsome and healthy”

Juken thought for a while and made the beggar a pretty boy with a healthy and sporty body like the ancient Greek gods.

Another two weeks passed. This time, the beggar’s castle was filled with beautiful women who seek his attention. Each one of them will listen intently to all he said and giggled at all his jokes.

“So are you happy now?” asked Juken.

The beggar thought for a while and answer, “I have no friends. No one really think highly of me despite my good looks and wealth. I think I would be happier if I were to have some kind of talent.”

And so Juken gave the beggar the ability to compose wonderful poetry to impress his friends.

Another two weeks passed. Before Juken could enter the castle this time, the beggar rushed out of his house to meet him. He was crying.

“I have wealth, I am healthy and attractive, and I am the royal poet and everyone loves me. Yet I feel something is lacking and I am miserable. Can you give me happiness?”

Juken thought hard about it. The gift of happiness was not taught at the academy. But just as he was about to give up, he remembered. And he snapped his fingers. The castle was gone, the UP-ATM was gone. The beggar is ugly and sickly again and he could not even speak properly. The beggar was the beggar again. And then Juken left.

The next two weeks was the longest and most miserable for the beggar. And when Juken came to visit him again, the beggar hugged Juken and cried.

“I finally know what happiness is,” the beggar exclaimed. Juken looked intently at the beggar and waited for the answer.

After wiping off his tears, the beggar finally said, “Happiness is to cherish a sense of appreciation. Thank you for teaching me that.”

Juken smiled and winked. “I am a genie. I help people.”

= = = = = = =

There are people who wanted so much to have my job. They are praying for it day and night. Although it is tough and difficult, I should still appreciate that I have this job. And I should strive to do the best that I can.