20 May 2007

An Inconvenient Truth

It had been almost 2 ten-day since I last wrote something. That could only mean one thing, work overcame me. As a member of the DATA team, post-exam had always been the busiest time of the academic year for me. But I guessed I am getting the hang of it. It gets easier each time.

Besides post-exam results processing, I was also busy preparing for the SL Selection Camp. This would probably be my first major project under the SL committee. It was not a difficult task, just time-consuming. Another easy but time-consuming task is the slides I have to prepare for the Speech Day. I was not expecting that as I was supposed to be involved in NDP. It was mentioned that duties for NDP, Speech Day and SYF should not overlap. But I learnt that management just has to say something to pacify our emotional vexations.

At home, my father is finally home after more than a decade. In those years, seven was spent in prison for mistakes he made in the past. A couple for prior to these seven years was spent on the run from the law. But he suffered from a stroke and is home now. We had to hire a domestic helper to take care of him. Dynamics at home is altered but I believe everything will settle into a comfort zone soon.

Recently, I watched a documentary titled “An Inconvenient Truth” produced by Al Gore. I raised both thumbs up for it and would recommend it to anyone. It was a comprehensive presentation highlighting the need for action in order to save our planet. Environmental Issues are real and important. I am proud that Soka Gakkai International had always been a supporter for conservation of our Earth. Based on the Buddhist principle of Oneness of Man and Environment, we cannot allow our pollution to continue. It is the suicide of humanity if we do not do anything about it.

I especially like the conclusion where Al Gore shared that the only solution to our environmental problems is to share them with as many people as possible. To create the awareness one person at a time, and to cherish hope that with enough support, politicians and industrialists can finally be enlightened to the fact that a Healthy Environment far outweighs the gains of Economic Wealth in terms of importance to humanity. This is also the commitment of the Soka Gakkai to conduct one dialogue after another to promote Peace, Culture and Education as taught by Dr Daisaku Ikeda.

Locally in Singapore, there is a campaign that calls for us to bring our own bags when buying stuff. This initiative came about because Singaporeans are guilty of being excessive users of plastic bags. As a small nation, we do not have landfills; hence, all our disposed plastic bags have to be incinerated. And incineration contributes to pollution.

I am going to support this movement with all my heart. People who opposed such acts of saving our environment should seriously do some soul-searching and reconsider. Humanity must stop our suicidal acts of hurting our collective home.

You may learn more about the documentary “An Inconvenient Truth” at http://www.climatecrisis.net/.