22 October 2007

Friendship Meeting

Life and death are the greatest mysteries, and they form the primary focus of religion. Where have we come from and where do we go? Why are human being born? Are our lives just random events or do they have some greater purpose? What is the meaning of death? Are we merely reduced to meaningless nothingness, as so many in our modern world vaguely believe? Or are we restored to a luminous immortal soul, as many time-honored religious traditions of East and West maintain? Or, as Shakyamuni Buddha teaches in expounding the Middle Way, that it is neither?

Lotus Sutra is the only teaching that provided satisfactory answers for me. I am eternally grateful for having encountered this teaching.




I attended a Friendship Meeting at our Soka Headquarters yesterday. I had known and heard about the finalist for this year’s campus superstar – Benjamin for quite a while, but it was the first time I hear him live. He does have a good falsetto and can understand why he deserved to be in the finals. I wish him well.