08 October 2007

NS 2007 -- ATEC


I returned to work today after 2 and half weeks of military training including the ATEC stage 2 – commonly known as the toughest exercise in our military career. Personally, I care nothing for the military. As a devoted Buddhist and a pacifist, I cannot accept any doctrines of warfare. Yet, I am somewhat glad to have gone through the training.

I am a citizen of Singapore. Hence, in my actions, I have to adhere to the laws of the country. It maybe my government’s view that war is a last resort in the resolution of conflicts, but in the depths of my heart, my belief is that war can NEVER be an option at all! Not even as a last resort.

Many of us returned for National Service out of obligations anyway. To be honest, there are thousands and one ways to get ourselves out of the tough training. It is really easy. What is difficult is to complete the program because not doing so will cause another to suffer more, even if the training itself does not agree with you.

Comfort as an ideal had been a byproduct of the unhealthy materialization of modern society. But the highest and most noble path is to strive for the sake of others.

A platoon was supposed to have about 30 men. Only a handful made it to the end. Of course there are some who fell out due to honest reasons, but the truth is that many chicken-ed out. For those who survived, congratulations. I believe we are the better men.