21 July 2008

Racial Harmony Week

Today marks the first day of Racial Harmony Week in my school. I find myself speaking relentlessly during Character Education lesson. I guessed that had to be due to the fact that I really felt strongly for this topic. My education in the Soka philosophy had taught me the evil that is discriminations against others. I cannot allow such insult to our common humanity within my scope of influence.

I pulled out an old poem I composed to share with my form class. It is just a simple poem yet I loved it. It was composed during a Mid-Autumn Festival many years ago. I remembered we were staring at the second anniversary of the infamous 9-11 incident.

Why do we quarrel
When we are on the same side of the family
Why do we fight
When we are on the same side of the nation
Why do we war
When we are on the same side of the moon


Peace is not the absence of war. Peace is a constant struggle to respect the dignity of life. My mentor, Dr Daisaku Ikeda once said, “Every war, when viewed from the undistorted perspective of life’s sanctity, is a ‘civil war’ waged by humanity against itself.”
I totally agree.